Grilled Smoked Gouda Inside Out Burgers
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 16 oz. very lean ground beef
- 4 oz. baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 oz. smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Desired toppings (lettuce, onion, tomato, ketchup, etc.)
- Finely mince the garlic and mushrooms. Finely shred the cheese.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef, spices, minced garlic, and onion. Using clean hands, gently mix all the ingredients. Shape it into 8 equal-sized balls.
- Place one ball on a plate and gently press it down to form a 3 ½ to 4 inch wide patty. Top the patty with ¼ of the shredded cheese (form a little mound with the cheese), leaving a ½ inch border.
- On another plate, press another patty out to the same size as the first one. Place the second patty on top of the cheese and crimp and seal both edges of the patties.
- Begin heating the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the 3 remaining burgers.
- Grill the burgers for about 4 minutes per side (for a medium-well done burger).
- Serve the burgers on whole wheat buns topped with your favorite toppings.
- To prevent sticking, lightly oil the grill by dipping a folded paper towel in olive oil. Use tongs to hold the oiled towel and rub it over the rack.
- Avocados, tomatoes, and lettuce with a little ketchup and a dash of pepper is a great combo for topping these burgers.