High Performance Meal Prep Lunch
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 20 oz. round steak
- 14-15 oz. low-sodium canned chickpeas, drained
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, peeled and pits removed
- 3 ripe, red tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium red onion, thinly diced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp, red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Prepare the marinade and dressing by adding the last 7 ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk until well blended or, for simplicity, put the ingredients in a mason jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well to blend.
- Arrange the round steak in a deep baking dish. Pour half the marinade over the steak and turn the steak to coat all areas. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Refrigerate the remaining marinade for use as a dressing as described later in the recipe.
- Take the round steak from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove the steak from the pan and place between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Use a meat tenderizer or the bottom of the canned chickpeas to gently pound and flatten the round steak. Flip the meat over and repeat so both sides are tenderized. Use only enough pressure to flatten the round steak because too much force will tear the meat.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter. Place the meat in the pan and sear each side for one minute. Once the meat has been seared, arrange in a baking dish with the marinade. Place the baking pan in a preheated oven and bake uncovered for 12 minutes. Flip the meat and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 140-145 degrees F. Remove from oven and let the steak cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- While the steak cools, prepare the avocados, onion, and tomatoes as described in the ingredients list. Place the tomatoes and onion in a mixing bowl and drizzle with half of the remaining dressing and gently toss. In a separate mixing bowl, toss the chick peas with the remaining dressing.
- Place ¼ of the tomato salad and chick peas into an individual meal prep container as shown in the picture. Top with ½ of an avocado. Slice the round steak against the grain into ½ inch strips and arrange ¼ of the round steak in each container. Refrigerate for a healthy lunch or eat for dinner over the next few days.