- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons corn oil, plus more if needed
- Unsalted butter and honey for serving
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, and 4 tablespoons oil; whisk until smooth.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Working in batches, pour 1/3 cup batter per cake into skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add more oil to the pan as necessary, and reduce heat, if sides brown too quickly.
- Serve immediately with butter and honey.
Yields: 10 small pancakes