- 1 bunch of kale
- 6 oz. of whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- 14 oz. of petite diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
- Wash and dry 1 bunch of kale. Remove the leaves from the stems; cut the leaves into bite sized pieces to equal about 8 cups. Peel and thinly slice 1 medium red onion.
- Begin cooking 6 oz. of whole wheat spaghetti noodles according to the package directions. When pasta is finished, drain it, but reserve about ½ cup of the water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a very large skillet and then add the red onion, ¼ tsp. of salt, a few dashes of black pepper, 1 tsp. of garlic powder (or use 3 minced cloves). Continue cooking the onions, while occasionally stirring until they are tender and a little brown (4-5 minutes). Add the kale and a 14 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes (drained). Toss and cook until the kale is tender.
- Add the reserved pasta water and cooked noodles to the mixture. Toss until the ingredients are well mixed. Add ⅓ cup of chopped almonds and ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese; gently toss to mix.
- Serve each plate with ¼th of the pasta mixture, topped with just a little more grated parmesan cheese, alongside a piece of fresh fruit or a serving of canned no-added-sugar fruit.