Kung Pao Chicken
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced or ½ tsp. ginger powder
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup or 2 green onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the chicken, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and peanuts and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender (about 5 more minutes).
- While the vegetables are cooking, mix together the honey, hot sauce and soy sauce. Add the sauce to the pan and cook for an additional minute mixing gently to incorporate the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and serve over a bed of chopped green leafy lettuce or some brown rice. Top with the green onions.