Lemon Pepper Chicken Breasts with Braised Beets and Beans
- 4 3 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 - 6 beets with tops
- 1 lemon (sliced thinly)
- 15 oz. Navy beans
- 1 red onion
- 6 - 8 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water
- Italian dressing
- garlic salt
- salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Lightly brush the bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil and then place 4- 3oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts, not touching, in the pan.
- Lightly brush the tops of the chicken breasts with olive oil, and then lightly salt and pepper them. Place 1-2 thin slices of fresh lemon on the top of each breast.
- Lightly brush one side of a piece of parchment paper with olive oil. Place the parchment paper oiled side down over the chicken and tightly tuck the paper into the pan.
- Place the chicken in the oven at 400 degrees and bake until the internal temperature of the breasts reach 165 degrees F (20-30 minutes).
- While the chicken is baking, cut the green tops off the 4-6 medium sized beet roots (2 ½ inches in diameter). Wash the greens under cold water and set aside to dry. Wash the beet roots, remove the stems, and then peel. Cut the beet roots into small cubes.
- In a medium sized frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat, add the cubed beet roots and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Sauté the beets for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse 1- 15 oz. can of Navy beans. Add the beans to the beets, along with 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp. of water. Stir and cover. Cook over medium high heat until the beans are warmed and the beets are tender.
- Dice ½ of a small red onion. Cut the beet greens into bite sized pieces. Toss both together in a bowl. Drizzle with Italian dressing.
- Serve each plate with 1 chicken breast topped with 1/4th of the beet greens. Alongside this, place ¼ of the cooked beet roots and navy beans.