Make a MyPlate of Nachos
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 15 oz can low sodium beans
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- Medium tomato
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh lettuce
- 2 oz whole grain/ multi grain tortilla chips
- 1 oz and 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- Begin cooking 1 lb. of ground turkey over medium to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp. of water.
- Add 1- 15 oz. (drained and rinsed) can of low sodium beans (kidney, black, pinto, etc.) to the ground turkey. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. of cumin; mix well, cover and turn heat to medium.
- While the ground turkey and beans are cooking, wash and dice a medium tomato, ¼ a red onion, ½ a bunch of fresh cilantro, and chop lettuce to equal about 2 ½ cups.
- Place about 2 oz. (18 chips) of whole grain/multi grain tortilla chips on each plate and then sprinkle 1 oz. of shredded cheese on the chips.
- Add ½ the chopped cilantro and a ½ cup of shredded cheese to the turkey and bean mixture; stir and cover for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Top each plate of chips with ⅛ of the ground turkey mixture (see the notes on how to use remaining mix) and then top with ¼ each of the tomato, onion, and finish with the remaining cilantro, 1 tbsp. Greek yogurt and desired amount of salsa.
- Use the remaining turkey/beans mixture as a filling for wraps (4). These freeze well and can be used for a quick lunch or dinner by reheating in the microwave and then topping with vegetables and salsa.
- This recipe works for any lean meat and is great for using up leftovers of cooked meat. If using leftover cooked meat, warm over medium heat and cut down the cooking time.
- To add a little something different, add just a touch of cumin to some of your favorite dishes, like chili or potatoes.