Mandarin Beef Stir Fry
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 lb. boneless beef (stew meat, London broil, round steak etc.), cut into ¼ inch strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 14 oz. can of no sugar added mandarin oranges, reserve 1/3 cup liquid
- 4 oz. fresh baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 5 oz. can water chestnuts, drained
- ¾-1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts or cashews (optional)
- Dice, slice, and prepare all produce prior to beginning and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the beef and onion and cook until the onions are nearly translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and spices. Bring to temperature and then add the broccoli and cook for one minute covered. Then add the remaining ingredients except for the mandarin oranges. If using nuts, add here. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the vegetables are of the desired tenderness. Add additional water 1-2 tbsp. at a time, to prevent burning. Toss occasionally.
- To prevent overcooking, add the canned mandarin sections during the last three minutes of cooking.
- This can be served by itself or over brown rice.
- If using fresh mandarins, be sure to remove all of the rind prior to cooking and use 1/3 cup orange juice instead of the mandarin liquid.