No-Cook 48 Hour Steel Cut Oats
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 ½ cup milk (dairy, almond, or cashew)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- ½ to 2 whole bananas
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 4 tbsp. chia seeds
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl mash the banana with a little of the milk until it is almost a puree. Add the remainder of the milk, vanilla, applesauce, cinnamon (optional), and 2 tbsp. of the chia seeds.
- Add the oats and mix well until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours*, divide the oats into 4 equal servings. Top each serving with equal parts of blueberries and remaining chia seeds.
- *Allow 48 hours for the oatmeal to soften in the refrigerator prior to eating or it will result in a chewy texture.
- If serving immediately, consider adding freshly sliced banana or other seasonal fruits.
- For additional convenience, place each serving portion in an airtight container for a quick on-the-go breakfast and begin eating after 48 hours. Add sliced banana or other fresh fruit just before eating, if desired.