OktoberFest Pork Chops & Spätzle
- 4 apples
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 pork chops
- 12 oz beef broth
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 12 oz nonfat evaporated milk
- Wash and dry 4 apples and then slice each apple into 4 sections (discard the core.) Place the apple slices in a microwave safe dish.
- Dice 1 medium white onion. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan, add the diced onion and a sprinkle of salt; cook over medium until they become translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in the same pan, add 4 pork chops (3-4 oz. each), brown each side over medium-high heat for 2 minutes and then reduce the heat to medium. Add to the pan: 12 oz. of beef broth, 8 oz. of pre-sliced, fresh mushrooms, the cooked onions, and 1 tsp. dried rosemary. Cover and continue cooking.
- Add ½ tsp. nutmeg and 2 tbsp. water to the apples; mix, cover and then microwave for 8-10 minutes.
- While the pork and apples are cooking, bring 1 large pot of water to a boil and prepare the dough for the spätzle (homemade noodles) by combining 3 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 tsp. salt, a dash each of pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl. Mix in 4 eggs and 1 cup milk and then stir until the batter is smooth and elastic.
- Make a slurry by mixing 2 tbsp. each of whole wheat flour and COLD water and then pour the slurry in with the pork along with 12 oz. of nonfat evaporated milk. Mix well and then simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, drop 1/4th of spätzle batter through the holes of a colander into the boiling water. The spätzle will cook quickly; it’s done when the noodles float! Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat until the batter is cooked.
- Serve each plate with 1 pork chop, topped with gravy, 1/4th each of the spätzle and apples, alongside a small tossed salad.
- The recipe for the gravy can be used in place of canned creamed soups.