"Oniony" Basil and Watermelon Salad
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 cups of seedless watermelon, cut into large chunks (should weigh about 5 pounds)
- 1 very large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly cut
- 4-6 oz. goat cheese (optional)
- In a very large bowl, place the watermelon chunks. Add the onion, vinegar, and salt. Mix gently.
- Cover and let the salad rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- Let the salad come to room temperature, drain off the liquid, gently toss in the fresh basil and cheese (if using). Serve immediately.
- Consider adding 2 tbsp. nonfat Greek yogurt in step 1 to have a likeness of a cucumber salad.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used in a pinch instead of balsamic but add 1 tsp. of sugar to step 1.