Pork Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb. boneless ¾ inch thick pork loin cutlets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. and 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 8 bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/2 English cucumber, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Dash or two of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut the pork cutlets into 1-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and begin cooking the onions until nearly translucent. Add the pork, ginger, and garlic.
- Toss to brown the pork on each side, and then add the sauces along with 2 tbsp. water.
- Cover and cook until the pork reaches 165 degrees F, using a meat thermometer. (If needed, add water 1 tbsp. at a time to keep the outside of the pork from burning while it reaches the required food safe temperature.)
- Assemble the wraps by placing 1/8 of the pork mixture on each bibb leaf and then top with shredded carrots, green onions, and if desired, peanuts and cucumber.