Pumpkin Waffles & Chicken Dinner
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless chicken tenders
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs or panko
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
For the waffles:
- Cooking spray
- 2 ½ cups pancake mix (whole wheat preferable)
- 1 ¼ cups skim milk
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix or filling)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 dashes of nutmeg
- ¼ cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 14.5 oz. cans of sliced peaches (no sugar added)
- In a large resealable bag, combine 2 cups of panko or bread crumbs, 3 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp. onion powder (optional), ¾ tsp. garlic powder, ¼ tsp. pepper, ¼ tsp. paprika. In a shallow dish, mix together ¼ cup of skim milk and 1 egg.
- Lightly salt 1 lb. of boneless, raw chicken tenders and then coat with flour. Dip the coated tenders in the egg mixture and then place in the bag of spices. Seal the bag and then shake to coat the tenders.
- Begin heating a waffle iron. Meanwhile, in a large bowl pour in, to combine, 2 ½ cups pancake mix with 1 1/4 cup of skim milk, ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix or filling), 2 eggs, ¼ cup canola oil, ¼ tsp. cinnamon, 3 dashes of nutmeg, ¼ cup of chopped walnuts and 2 tbsp. brown sugar. Mix with a wire whisk until the ingredients are blended.
- Lightly coat a waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the center of the iron and close the lid. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until steam no longer is coming out of the iron. Remove the waffle and repeat until the batter is used up.
- While the waffles are cooking, begin cooking the chicken tenders. In a large skillet, heat ¼ cup of canola oil over medium heat. Add the tenders and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Drain the tenders on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, place 2 waffles on each plate, top with ½ cup of drain unsweetened canned peaches, and ¼ of the chicken strips. Sprinkle with a little extra walnuts, if desired.
- Use the leftover pumpkin and peaches by serving in a bowl, topped with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt, sprinkled with raisins.
- Make extra chicken pieces to use as a protein source on salads.