Quick Beans and Rice
- 1 package of instant brown rice
- 1 package of natural hardwood smoked sausage
- 1 can of chili beans
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (per serving)
- Prepare instant brown rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, slice sausage into 20-30 pieces and then add the slices along with one can of chili beans (don’t drain), and one can of stewed tomatoes to a pan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Turn the stove heat to low and continue cooking and stirring occasional while also gently smashing the tomatoes, until the flavors blend (about 10-12 minutes).
- Serve by place 1/4 of the rice on a plate and then top the rice with 1/4 of the chili bean/sausage mixture.
- Top each plate of rice and beans with ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- For added flavoring, consider adding red pepper flakes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, pepper, and or garlic.
- Serve with a side of sliced fresh fruit or no added sugar canned fruit as a dessert.