Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 small yellow onion
- 8-10 oz of boneless chicken strips
- 1 cup of water
- 5-6 oz whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta
- garlic powder
- dried basil
- Pour a 32 oz. box of low-sodium chicken broth in a large pot with 1 ½ - 10 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables (a ½ bag will not be used) and bring to a boil on the stove over medium high heat. (If you have Bay leaves on-hand, then add two to the pot.)
- While the broth and vegetables are simmering, dice one small onion.
- Place about 8-10 oz. of frozen boneless chicken strips in microwave safe dish with 1 cup of water and the diced onions, cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the microwave, cut into bite sized pieces, and add the chicken and the onions with liquid to the pot.
- Add third of a 16 oz. box of penne pasta (preferably whole wheat or whole grain) to the pot of broth, chicken, and vegetables.
- Turn down the heat to prevent the liquid from boiling over and simmer for about 8 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Season to taste with pepper, garlic powder, and just a few dashes of dried basil.
- Serve this hearty soup in a deep bowl alongside a piece of your favorite fresh fruit.
- In Step 3, The chicken won’t be fully cooked. It will finish when added to the soup.
- Freeze individual servings for a quick after school or late evening snack or tote to work.
- Keep a container in your freezer and rather than throw out a few bites of leftover veggies such as corn, green beans, lima beans, etc., put them in the container. Use this when container is full in Step 1, instead of bag of vegetables.