Quick & Pleasing Spring Rolls
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 15 oz. can of corn
- 3 5 oz. can of green chilies
- 2 4oz. cans of small shrimp
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped mint leaves
- 10-12 oz bag of fresh matchstick carrots
- 16 paper rolls
- Lettuce leafs
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining in a small bowl; ½ cup rice vinegar, 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce, 2 tbsp. chili-garlic sauce, and ½ tsp. ground ginger.
- Prepare the filling for the spring rolls by draining 15 oz. can of corn, 2-4.5 oz. can of green chilies and 2-4 oz. cans of small shrimp; then, combine the drained items in a large bowl with 1/3 cup cilantro chopped leaves, 1/3 cup chopped mint leaves, a 10- 12 oz. bag of fresh matchstick carrots, and 2 tbsp. of the dipping sauce. Mix the ingredients well.
- To make the spring rolls, fill a shallow bowl with hot water. Submerge 1 paper in the water. Leave it in the water until the wrapper is softened (about 1 minute).
- Lay the softened wrapper on a flat surface and top it with 1 lettuce leaf and 1/16th of the shrimp and vegetable mixture placed lengthwise in the center.
- Fold the long end of the wrapper over the ingredients and fold in the end. Continue rolling (tightly) lengthwise.
- Repeat to make the remaining 15 spring rolls. (The water needs to remain hot to best soften the wrappers; so, changeout the water every 3-4 rolls).
- Serve by placing 4 spring rolls on a plate beside a dish filled with 1/4th of the dipping sauce.
- Add ½ cup - 1 cup of fresh, sliced berries topped with a spoonful of vanilla pudding, whipped cream, or vanilla flavored Greek yogurt.
Note: Consuming 8 servings of fruits and vegetables per day is the minimum goal. Increasing the number of servings is okay. Just be sure to build a healthy eating pattern that is comprised of a variety of food groups while keeping your calorie intake in check.
Tips: Use shredded, cooked chicken in place of the shrimp.