Refreshing Pineapple and "Greens"
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 very ripe, soft avocados
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 5-6 cups field green salad mix
- 1 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- In a very large mixing bowl, add the pineapple, greens and English cucumber and toss.
- Place the green flesh of two avocados in a blender, along with the garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt. Roll the limes with a little pressure on a hard surface to soften. If desired, zest one lime, and place the zest in the blender. Cut the limes in half and squeeze the juice of 1 ½ limes into the blender. Pulse the blender until the avocado mixture is smooth and the ingredients are well blended.
- Slice the remaining ½ of the lime into 4 pieces and use as the garnish.
- Serve 1/4th of the salad mixture on a plate and drizzle with 1/4th of the dressing. Repeat for the remaining three plates.
- Do not drizzle the dressing onto the salad until just prior to serving. If not serving all four servings, place the dressing in a covered container. It can be stored for up to 3 days.
- To add protein to this salad, consider black beans or cooked boneless chicken breast. This makes for a great lunch time meal.
- Sprinkle a few slivered almonds or crushed walnuts on the salad to add a little more omega 3s and healthy fat. Just a few to keep the calorie level of the salad in check.