Robert's Go-To Stir-Fry
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 package of instant brown rice
- 1 lb. raw, boneless, skinless chicken
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Bok choy (desired)
- 12-16 oz. frozen vegetables
- 2-3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. teriyaki sauce/marinade
- 1 cup of almonds
- Begin cooking instant brown rice according to package directions for 4 servings.
- While the rice is cooking, cut the chicken into ½-inch strips and begin cooking in a heated skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, wash and then cut the bok choy into big chunks (discard the stem).
- While still in their bag, microwave the frozen vegetables for 2 minutes. Use your favorite kind of vegetable, like broccoli, or try a stir-fry blend.
- Add the soy sauce or teriyaki sauce/marinade and almonds to the chicken; add bok choy.
- When the bok choy begins to wilt, add the microwaved vegetables; stir, cover and let cook until desired level of tenderness for vegetables. Cooking for 1-2 additional minutes will be just enough to have the same “crunch” as Chinese take-out vegetables.
- Serve each plate with ¼ of the rice, topped with ¼ of the chicken/vegetable stir-fry.
- Vary the flavor the next time by using different proteins like lean beef or pork.
- Add some drained, canned water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Use whole wheat pasta instead of rice.
- Use up leftover cooked meats and make this meal really quickly. Just skip step 2 and add cooked meat in step 5.
- Try it with rotisserie chicken.
- Turn things up a notch with some spice heat by using just a tad of Sriracha sauce.