Robert's Go-To Stir-Fry
- 1 package of instant brown rice
- 1 lb raw, boneless, skinless chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bok Choy (desired)
- 12-16 oz frozen vegetables
- 2-3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce/marinade
- 1 cup of almonds
- Begin cooking instant brown rice according to package directions for 4 servings.
- While the rice is cooking, cut 1 lb. of raw, boneless, skinless chicken (breast or thighs) into ½" strips and begin cooking in a heated skillet with 2 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, wash and then cut the Bok Choy into big chunks (discard the stem).
- While still in their bag, microwave the frozen vegetables (12-16 oz.) for 2 minutes. Use your favorite kind of vegetable, like broccoli, or try a stir-fry blend.
- Add 2-3 tbsp. of low sodium soy sauce or 2-3 tbsp. of Teriyaki sauce/marinade and 1 cup of almonds to the chicken; add Bok Choy.
- When the Bok Choy begins to wilt, add the microwaved vegetables; stir, cover and let cook until desired level of tenderness for vegetables. (1 - 2 additional minutes will be just enough to have the same “crunch” as Chinese take-out vegetables.)
- Serve each plate with ¼th of the rice, topped with ¼th of the chicken/vegetable stir-fry.
- Vary the flavor the next time by using different proteins like lean beef or pork.
- Add some drained, canned water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Use whole wheat pasta instead of rice.
- Use up leftover cooked meats and make this meal really quickly. Just skip Step 2 and add cooked meat in Step 5.
- Try it with rotisserie chicken.
- Turn things up a notch with some spice heat by using just a tad of Sriracha sauce.