Rustic Potato Soup (Zuppa Toscana)
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 3 medium russet potatoes, unpeeled, quartered and sliced 1/4–inch thick
- 2 to 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking into crumbles with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until sausage is browned; set aside until needed.
- Combine the chicken stock and cream in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the browned sausage, the unpeeled, quartered and sliced potatoes, chopped onion, kale, salt and pepper flakes.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until potatoes and kale are tender, stirring occasionally.
Yields: Serves 4 to 6