Salmon Burgers and Salad
- 15 oz canned salmon
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 8-10 whole wheat crackers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices of preferred cheese
- 16-20 oz fresh baby spinach
- 14.5 oz canned mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- Drain and discard the liquid from the canned salmon and then pour the drained salmon into a mixing bowl.
- Separate the salmon down the center and remove and discard the large bone. Add 1 tbsp. dried basil, ¼ tsp. garlic powder, 1 egg, and about 8-10 whole wheat crackers (crumbled) to the salmon and then mix well. (If the mixture is too crumbly, then add milk, one tbsp. at a time; or if it is too wet, then add a couple more crumbled crackers).
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and then form into “burger patties."
- Heat a non-stick skillet coated with 1 tbsp. of olive or coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the salmon burgers.
- When the bottom of the burgers begin to brown a bit, (about 3-4 minutes), flip them over, cover and let the other side cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- While the burgers are cooking, prepare the salad by mixing a 16 - 20 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach leaves with a 14.5 oz. can of drained mandarin oranges, ¼ cup of balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and ½ cup of walnut pieces.
- Top each burger with a slice of your favorite cheese and serve on a whole wheat bun.
- Divide the salad into 4 equal portions and then serve one portion of salad and a salmon burger on each plate.
- Tip: Use salmon to top your salads.