Sausage and Egg Brunch Bake
- 1 1/2 pounds bulk Italian pork sausage
- 5 cups frozen country-style shredded hash-brown potatoes (from a 30-ounce package)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 (4.5-ounce) jars sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend (12-ounces)
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish and a 16 x 12-inch sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove sausage from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix potatoes, onions, mushrooms, olives, 1 tablespoon chopped basil and 2 cups of the cheese. Add cooked sausage; stir gently to mix.
- Spoon potato mixture evenly into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- In same large bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt; beat well. Pour over potato mixture in baking dish. Cover with foil, sprayed side down. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered for 45 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes longer or until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons basil.
- Cut egg bake into squares, serve with warm topping.
Yields: Serves 12