Sautéed Collard Greens
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 16 oz. bag of fresh collard greens
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. and 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat and then add the diced onion and salt. Stir constantly until the onions begin to turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the collard greens along with the vinegar and ¼ cup of water. Toss well, turn down heat, cover and cook until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Make a well in the center of the leaves and pour the remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil in the well along with the minced garlic cloves. Toss the cloves in the well, until they brown a little and then mix them in with the rest of the greens.
- If needed add another 1-2 tbsp. of water and cover to cook the greens to the desired level of tenderness and add red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Tip: Make this dish an entrée by adding boneless shredded chicken or slices of light kielbasa sausage.