Ingredients (serves 4)
- ¾ lb. lean ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
- 12 oz. whole wheat or whole grain pasta
- 14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes (no added salt, Italian-basil, garlic, oregano)
- 2 8 oz. cans of plain tomato sauce
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of dried Italian seasoning blend
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil
- Over medium heat, begin cooking the lean ground meat, stirring occasionally.
- Begin cooking the whole wheat or whole grain pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta and ground meat are cooking, in another large sauce pan, pour the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and dried Italian seasoning blend.
- Over medium-high heat, mix the sauce well, while mashing the large pieces of tomatoes against the side of the pan. Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain the grease from the ground meat, and discard the grease. Carefully pour the ground meat into the sauce and mix well. Turn the heat to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the flavor blends.
- For each plate, serve ¼ of the drained pasta, topped with ¼ of the sauce, a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil (optional).
- To make the meal complete, serve 4 - 6 oz. of vanilla Greek yogurt topped with a handful of your favorite berries or fresh sliced peaches.
- Use pasta made from vegetables to help meet the recommended level of weekly consumption.
- Use the tomato sauce as a base in homemade lasagna or as a dipping sauce.
- Make a double batch of the sauce and freeze half of it, so you will have it at the ready for a quick meal.
- All you‘ll have to do is microwave it to thaw and heat, while the pasta is cooking.