- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup diced medium red onion
- 2 minced garlic gloves
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 mango
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups favorite cheese
- 2 whole wheat soft tortillas or fajita shells
- To make the mango salsa, begin by draining and rinsing a 15oz. can of black beans and a 15 oz. can of whole kernel corn in a colander; then, transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in ¼ of a cup of diced medium red onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, ¼ tsp. of cumin, and ⅓ of a cup of fresh cilantro to the beans and corn; mix, gently.
- Cut a lime in half and squeeze the juice of both halves over the mixture and then peel and cube one mango and gently toss it into the beans. Set the mixture aside to allow the flavors to blend.
- Thaw 1 lb. of frozen, cooked shrimp by placing it in a colander and running cold water over it for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the shrimp in ½, width wise, in order to make them thinner; then, add the shrimp to 1 ½ cups of your favorite kind on shredded cheese, and mix.
- Very lightly coat one side of 2 whole wheat soft tortilla or fajita shells with olive oil.
- To make a quesadilla, place 1 shell (oiled sided down) in a frying pan or skillet that has been heated over medium heat, and quickly top the tortilla with ¼ of the shrimp and cheese mixture; then, top with another tortilla (oiled side up).
- Gently flip the quesadilla over when the bottom begins to brown, and cook the second side until the cheese is melted. Remove the quesadilla from the pan and repeat steps 6-8.
- To serve, top each quesadilla with ½ cup of the salsa and desired amount of chopped lettuce and tomato.
- Use the remaining salsa to top salads or grilled chicken breasts.
- The salsa will keep for 2 days in the fridge, so consider repeating the meal later in the week.
- To add a little extra heat, add a can of green chilis to the salsa.