Slow Cooker Carnitas
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 3 lbs. pork loin
- 1 orange
- ½ red onion, medium
- ¾ cup of salsa verde
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 2 fresh avocados
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage (green or purple)
- Sliced radishes (optional)
- Cut the pork loin into 3 large pieces and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and cumin. Slice the orange and red onion into many thin slices.
- Place the seasoned pork into the slow cooker along with the orange slices, onion, salsa, ¼ cup water and honey.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove the orange slices from the slow cooker and discard.
- Remove the pork and gently shred. Place the shredded pork on a foil lined baking sheet. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker over the meat and gently mix.
- Broil the meat in the oven until it begins to brown, turning once and the juice begins to caramelize. Watch the meat closely to prevent overcooking and drying out the meat. Total broil time should be about 4 minutes—turning the meat at two minutes. Immediately remove the tray from the oven.
- Serve immediately by dividing the pork equally between 12 tortillas and then topping with equal amounts of avocado, cilantro, cabbage and radish (optional).
- If you want juicer pork, skip step 6 and use the juice to drizzle over finished product in step 7.
- Prepare the pork as described but serve it over a bed of mixed greens along with the avocado and cilantro. Add some diced mango.