Strawberry and Asparagus Salad
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 4 oz. walnut halves
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Juice from ½ lime
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Wash and dry the produce. Remove the hard end from each asparagus stalk (cutting about one inch from the end) and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into thirds. Place the cut asparagus in a microwave safe dish and 2 tbsp. of water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- While the asparagus is cooking, pour the spinach leaves in a large salad bowl. Add the walnuts and then the strawberries, which have had their tops removed then are cut in half. Add the zest of one whole lime to the salad mixture and then toss gently. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and toss again.
- To prepare the salad dressing, I a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, and garlic powder.
- Drain the water from the asparagus and then add the asparagus to the salad. Drizzle the salad dressing over the mixture and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Tip: Add 3-4 oz. of diced cooked chicken to this salad and serve it alongside a slice of whole wheat avocado toast to make it a whole meal.