Summertime Spaghetti Squash Salad
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash (5-6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb. fresh raw shrimp
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- Carefully slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Place the halves cut side down in a microwave safe baking dish and fill the dish with 1 inch of water.
- Microwave on high for about 12-14 minutes, or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork. Set the cooked aside so it can cool for handling.
- While the squash is cooking, added 2 tbsp. of Italian salad dressing to a medium-sized skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once the dressing is heated, add the shrimp in a single layer. Flip after 1 minute, and continue cooking until the shrimp turn pink. Quickly remove from the pan, set aside to cool and peel as needed. Reserve the pan drippings.
- Thinly slice the bell peppers and chop the cilantro.
- Once the squash has cooled, use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti-like strands by starting at the outer part of the squash and pressing down while pulling the fork towards the center. Repeat this by moving the fork a little to the right each time. Place the noodles in a large bowl.
- Peel and devein the shrimp and add to the noodles. Add the peppers and drizzle the pan drippings, remaining Italian salad dressing, and vinegar. Gently toss to mix. Top with the fresh cilantro and serve.
- This salad can be served immediately as a warm salad or you can chill it in the fridge and serve it cold.
- If peppers aren't your thing, consider using raw broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces and halved cherry tomatoes.