Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 to 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 stick of butter
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Pecan Crumble Topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) cold butter
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Place whole potatoes in a 9x13-inch foil lined pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1½ hours, until very soft when squeezed.
- Prepare Pecan Crumble Topping while potatoes cool.
- Combine flour and sugar well, add cold butter cut into small chunks.
- Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the finely chopped pecans and mix well. Set mixture aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the peel, and measure into a large bowl. You should have 6 cups, firmly packed potatoes.
- Add the butter, orange juice, orange zest, evaporated milk or cream, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and eggs to the sweet potatoes.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Spread evenly into a 9x13-inch pan and top with the pecan crumble mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees.