Tangy Jerk Chicken & Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice (not instant)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 tbsp. jerk sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 20 oz. pineapple chunks (drained)
- 15 oz. black beans (reduced or low sodium)
- 4.5 oz. chopped green chiles
- Begin cooking 1 cup of brown-rice (not instant) according to package directions.
- Cut 1 lb. of boneless skinless chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. Add the chicken to a bowl and then add 5 tbsp. of jerk sauce. Gently work the sauce into the chicken, using your hands. Let the chicken marinade in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash your hands, sanitize the cutting surface and knife, and then dice 1 medium onion.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat and then add the diced onion. Add a small dash of salt, and cook the onions for about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the diced chicken along with the marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes until the chicken begins to brown. Stir constantly. Add 20 oz. of pineapple chunks (drained).
- Pour 15 oz. of black beans (reduced or low sodium) in a colander and then quickly rinse with cold water. Drain and then add the beans to the skillet.
- Quickly add to the skillet 4.5 oz. of chopped green chilies and 3 more tbsp. of the jerk sauce. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until the chicken is tender. Stir occasionally.
- When the rice is done, serve each plate with 1/6 of the rice topped with 1/6th of the jerk chicken mixture.
- Eating more than 1 serving of this meal increases the amount of sodium consumed. Save the leftovers for the next day in order to keep your daily sodium consumption in check.