Tangy Steak and Arugula
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp. fresh lemon (2 lemons)
- 2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp. dried ginger)
- 1 pound sirloin or eye of round steak (any less expensive steak will work)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 16-20 oz. arugula (washed and torn to bite sized pieces)
- 2 mangos (peeled and cubed)
- 3/4 sliced medium sized sweet onion
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a large medium sized bowl.
- Place the steak in a large re-sealable bag (or baking dish). Pour the marinade over the steak making sure it is covered. Let the steak marinade for up to 6 hours in the refrigerator, and then bring it to room temperature before grilling. For those in a hurry, the steak can be marinated at room temperature for an hour but it must be grilled immediately. Turn the steak occasionally while marinating to be sure that all the flavor reaches all of the steak.
- Bring the grill to medium high heat and remove the steak from the marinade. Pour the remaining marinade into a sauce pan for the dressing.
- Place the steak on the heated grill and grill uncovered. Flip the steak after 4 minutes and continue cooking until the steak reaches at least 135 (medium rare) or 140-145 (medium) degrees F. Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, 1/4th of the arugula, sliced onion, and mangos on a plate and top with 1/4th of the peanuts. Repeat this for the 3 additional plates.
- Bring the marinade to a boil for 30 seconds, while constantly stirring. Remove from heat.
- Slice the steak against the grain and then top each salad plate with 1/4th of the steak. Drizzle the marinade/dressing liberally on each salad.
- Try the marinade with chicken or pork.
- The marinade doesn't have to be used just for marinating. Mix up a batch the next time you have a salad. If it doesn't touch raw meat, then you don't have to boil it.