"Thanksgiving" Meatloaf Dinner
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey (93 percent lean)
- 1 box stuffing mix
- 4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 lb. green beans, fresh
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 14-15 oz. can of whole berry cranberry sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the stuffing mix, eggs, and ketchup. Using hands, or a wooden spoon, work the mixture until the stuffing mix and eggs are incorporated throughout the meat.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with foil allowing at least 3 inches hanging over the sides, lengthwise (this makes for easy removal from the pan). Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Pour the meatloaf mixture in the pan. Pat gently to evenly distribute the mixture and then fold the foil over the top. Do not press the foil into the meat mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove the loaf from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- While the meatloaf is cooking, wash, rinse, and dry the green beans. Snip the ends off each bean. Place the beans in a microwave safe glass dish, drizzle the olive oil over the beans and then sprinkle in the garlic powder and basil. Add 2 tbsp. water. Toss the beans to be sure they are coated. Cover.
- After the meatloaf is removed from the oven and while it is resting, place the green beans in the microwave for 8-10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, bring the chicken broth and butter to a low boil and remove it from the heat. Quickly add the instant potato flakes and toss with a fork. Add the yogurt and mix gently.
- Remove the meatloaf from the pan by gently pounding the pan on the counter top. Unfold the foil and gently use it to lift the loaf out of the pan. Cut the loaf in half. Wrap one half of the meatloaf in the foil to be used for another time.
- Serve each plate by placing ¼ of the potatoes and green beans on the plate. Cut the remaining half of the meatloaf into 4 equal slices and place on slice on each plate. Top each slice of meatloaf with 1-2 tbsp. of cranberry sauce (optional).
- Consider freezing the remaining half of the meatloaf for a meal later in the month. Just remove the meatloaf from the freezer in the morning to thaw. Remove the foil and microwave to warm.
- To decrease the cooking time, make the mixture into 8-12 equal sized meatballs and place the balls in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or place in a microwave-safe glass dish, cover, and microwave for 8-10 minutes.