"Thinned Down," So Creamy, Ground Turkey Alfredo with Peas
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. ground turkey, lean
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour (wheat or white)
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 4 oz. skim milk
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Spread the non-fat Greek yogurt in a thin layer on a plate so it can quickly come to room temperature.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the ground turkey. Brown the turkey stirring occasionally.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, begin cooking the fettuccine, according to package directions.
- Pour the frozen peas on a microwave safe dish, add 1/3 cup of water, cover, and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Once the turkey is no longer pink, sprinkle the flour over it and toss. Cook for an additional minute until the flour is well absorbed into the meat and slowly add the skim milk, evaporated milk, and spices. Whisk constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Drain the peas and add them to the sauce. Add the yogurt, mix, then add the cheese. Turn down the heat to medium low and continue gently stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Once the past is done cooking, drain it and add it to the sauce. Toss the noodles so they are well coated.
- Serve ¼ of the pasta on a plate and if desired, top it with additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil.
- This recipe works well with ground pork and ground beef or any type of lean meat.
- Don't have any meat thawed or cooked? Used canned (drained) tuna or chicken with the Heart Healthy seal.
- Omit the peas and serve alongside a dark green, leafy salad.
- Consider using fresh or frozen broccoli instead of the peas. This will decrease the calories.
- Mushrooms can be easily added to increase the nutrition density of this meal.