- 12 corn tortillas, small (or flour tortillas)
- vegetable oil (or margarine)
- 1 can refried beans (16 ounce)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh or canned green chili peppers (diced)
- 3 tablespoons red taco sauce
- 3 cups vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped, fresh, optional)
- Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to form a thick crust for the pizza.
- Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
- Heat refried beans, onion, and half of the chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco sauce, then top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon chili peppers, and 1 Tablespoon cheese for each pizza.
- Return to frying pan and heat until cheese melts. Top with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
View this recipe on http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/tortilla-pizzasUnited States Department of Agriculture