Tuna Bahn Mi
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 oz. package of shredded carrots
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tbsp. canned chipotle peppers, minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 5 oz. cans of tuna, drained and flaked
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies, drained
- 2½ tbsp. Asian fish sauce
- 12-in. French baguette (preferably whole wheat/grain)
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Place the carrots in a medium-sized bowl. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and then pour over the carrots. Mix well and set aside so the flavors can blend.
- Mince the chipotle peppers and place them in small bowl. Add the mayonnaise and then mix.
- In a medium bowl, mix the tuna, lime juice, and green chilies with the Asian fish sauce.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthwise. Spread the chipotle mayonnaise on both sides. Top one side with the tuna mixture and then lightly pepper. Sprinkle the chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, over the tuna and then top with the carrot mixture. Place the other half of the baguette back on top.
- Serve each plate with ¼ of the sandwich alongside a large piece of melon or a fresh peach (sliced) topped with ½ cup of nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt.
Tip: The tuna mix works well in wraps too. Try serving them chilled or even warmed a bit in the microwave.