Twice Baked Loaded Sweet Potato
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ medium red onion, sliced
- 2 dashes of salt
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ cup low sodium, canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 6 oz. cooked, boneless chicken (cut into chunks)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions: (Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.)
- Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes and then lightly coat each by evenly distributing 2 tsp. of the olive oil between them. Like a baked potato, wrap each in aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add 3/4th of the sliced onions (set the remaining aside) and begin cooking. After one minute add 2-3 dashes of salt and the garlic cloves. Turn heat to medium and cook until the onions are tender. Stir constantly.
- Add the cooked onions and garlic to a medium sized bowl. Remove the potatoes from their foils and gently cut each in half. Carefully scoop the pulp of each half out and place it in the bowl.
- Once all of the pulp has been added to the bowl, gently toss to incorporate the cooked onions. Add the cumin powder and drained black beans. Mix gently.
- Spoon the pulp back into the skins and then top each with chicken, cheese, and slices of jalapeno.
- Place in the oven for an additional 5 minutes to reheat the pulp and melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.