Vegetarian Swiss Chard Frittata
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of Swiss chard, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced with peel
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh basil (optional)
Directions (Preheat oven to 450 F)
- In a medium-sized skillet, bring olive oil to temperature over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and salt. Turn heat to medium and sauté until the peppers begin to become tender (approximately 4-5 minutes), stirring constantly. Add 2 tbsp. of water, and the Swiss chard. Cook for an additional minute until the chard begins to wilt. Set aside.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, place the diced potato with 2 tbsp. of water and a dash or two of hot sauce (optional) in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the peppers, chard, and onions.
- Whisk 12 eggs, until the yolks are mixed and then fold in the cheeses.
- Spray a microwave safe baking dish or pan lightly with cooking spray. Pour in the vegetables and spread evenly to cover the bottom of the pan
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables.
- Place the pan in the oven on the center rack and cook until the eggs are set (about 18-20 minutes). Watch carefully so the eggs don’t begin to brown on top.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and sprinkle with black pepper to taste topping with fresh basil (optional). Let it rest for about 10 minutes then enjoy!
- To decrease the fat, replace some of the whole eggs with egg whites. 2 egg whites per 1 egg.
- This recipe is a great way to use up produce, the variety is endless. Consider using asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, mushrooms, etc.
- This reheats really well, so consider making one and using it for grab and go breakfasts throughout the week.