Walnut Chocolate Torte
- 10 fresh organic large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup (500gr) finely ground walnuts
- 1 1/4 cup (350 gr) fine, granulated brown sugar
- 2 tsp cacao
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 20 pieces of half walnuts
- Separate yolks from whites. Set 3 yolks aside (you will need them later to make a cream). Beat whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In another bowl, using electric mixer beat 7 yolks until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, and then add walnuts. Mix well but gently. Beat in cacao and vanilla. Mix well and carefully add whites, mixing very gently on a low speed until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 320° F
- Pour batter into 2 round 9 x 1 1/2 greased and floured baking pans with removable bottom. Put into the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Cool down.
- Loosen sides invert onto plates.
- With the rum tea, moisture the whole bottom layer of the torte.
- Spread chocolate cream all over the layer.
- Place a second layer on a top, and moisture the same way.
- Spread the rest of the cream on a top of the layer and make a cream border around the edge.
- Decorate with half walnuts.
- Put into the fridge to cool down.
While the cakes are in the oven you can make the cream
- 1 cup unsalted real butter
- 1 1/2 organic white powder sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 1/8 cup pure spirits (96%)
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in powder sugar and cocoa. Add spirit. Beat until creamy.
- To moisten cake layers
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) brewed black tea
- 5 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp golden rum such as Bacardi
- Add sugar, lemon and rum into tea.