Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cleaned and pierced several times with the tines of a fork
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, and scoop the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Discard potato skins.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and the cream to the potatoes and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed, until smooth.
- Mix in the applesauce and ginger; season with salt and pepper
- Transfer potato mixture to an ovenproof dish and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the apples with the granulated sugar in a bowl. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are caramelized to a golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove potato mixture from the oven, top with the caramelized apples, and serve.
Note: If oven space is at a premium, cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave. Prink potatoes generously with a fork, arrange in a "spoke" configuration on a paper towel, and cook at HIGH power until soft to the touch, about 13 to 14 minutes total. Continue according to recipe directions.